Sure, You can google it or find related youtube videos by bloggers and paid sponsored videos, But if you don't understand the ingredients, You are potentially risking yourself to harmful chemicals which are disrupting the normal functioning of your body and causes imbalances as our skin is the largest organ of our bodies that is often overlooked.
As, a clinical cosmetologist and a holistic health expert, I am often very mindful of the products that I am slathering on my body day in and day out. Here are some of the nasty stuff that you don't want anywhere near your medicine cabinet or skin care fridge if you're a little fancy like me.
1. ALUMUNIUM This one's a sneaky metal in several skincare products that can have oestrogen like effects in our systems, disrupting the healthy functioning of the endocrine system. Usually, found in every personal care products especially anti-perspirants.
2. DEA( dieethanolamine),MEA (monoethanolamine) and TEA (triethanolamine). Clear, colorless, viscous liquids with ammonia like odour, Found in foaming cleansers, makeup, sunscreens, fragrances and hair products.
3. DMDM HYDANTOIN & UREA (Imidazolidinyl) preservatives that often release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, skin allergies, headaches and lack of sleep. Usually found in Skincare products, cosmetics, conditioners and detergents.
4. PARABENS- This might sound a little familiar. ( Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl)
These are most often than labeled, used as preservatives and may contribute to hormonal imbalance. Usually found in most of the commonly available skin care lotions, moisturizers and deodorants.
5. MINERAL OIL- A petroleum by-product that coats the skin like a plastic, clogging it's pores, This is incredibly harmful because it interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, therefore increasing likelyhood of acne and other skin disorders. Usually found in ointments, creams and lotions.
6. POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL (PEG)- Ingredients that can alter and reduce skin's natural moisture factor. It adjusts the melting point and thickens product. Usually found in make up removers, cleansers that remove oil and grease.
7. TRICLOSAN- A synthetic antibacterial agent that may disrupt thyroid function and can degrade into a form of dioxin, a class of chemicals linked to a broad range of toxicities including cancer, Usually, found in deodrants and toothpastes .
8. Propylene & Butylene Glycol - Gaseous hydrocarbons which in a liquid state act as surfactants. They penetrate the skin and can weaken protein and cellular structure. It could cause irritation in sensitive skin, eczema and contact dermatitis, It poses risk for liver and kidney damage. Let's start reading labels on our food and makeup products.
9. SILOXANES - Always look for ingredients ending in "siloxane" or "methicone". Used in variety of cosmetics to soften. smooth and moisten It is suspected endocrine disrupter and a reproductive toxicant harmful to fish and other wildlife!
10. Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) and (SLES), Detergent found in 90% of personal care products that foam
11. Synthetic Fragrances - Anything that say's synthetic should raise a red flag, There are hundreds of thousands of products that has synthetic ingredients, Usually found in cosmetic and skincare products but also in many household products, such as candles and air fresheners.
12. PHTHALATES - Chemicals used to increase strength and flexibility of plastics listed as fragrant oils, under the umbrella of the term fragrance and also in food packaging and known to leech into food products through milk and other spices. They have also been linked to allergic reactions in infants and children, ADHD, Male deformities and lowered IQ.
There is a plethora of companies like 100 percent pure, Love earth and Daivik Moringa that are offering Vegan alternatives and clean Ingredients. Alternatively, You can even download Think dirty and Detox me apps.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.